View Single Post
Old 12-04-18, 11:46 PM
fronesis

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by shaneshane
Thanks so much, did you actually counted how many links you have in your chain, since our bike should be exactly the same setup.
without damage the chain, is there a way to actually tell if the chain is sized too short? or is it possible you can help take a picture to show when you shift to the biggest cog, how should the derailleur look like? and what's your B-Gap adjustment screw's position, all the way out or somewhere in between?

I certainly can buy a new chain and do it from the scratch, but thinking if there is less painful way to confirm if the chain length is actually the problem.
A few follow-ups:

1.The SRAM chain comes with a SRAM quick link. You can remove that and then wrap the chain around the crank and largest cog to see if the chain is sized according to SRAM’s specs. This won’t do any damage to the chain at all.

2. I just got my second Whipshot Ti (the first one was for my wife; this one is for me). The chain is too short. I haven’t confirmed this yet, but the chain is so short that the RD is FULLY extended, so I’m sure when I measure it it will come up short. I can confirm tomorrow.

3. I didn’t count the links in my chain (I just checked the overlap and sized it that way), but tomorrow I can also tell you then how many links are in the chain that came on my bike and how many links are in a chain sized according to SRAM. Please note, however, that chain sizing also depends on chainstay length, and those will vary depending on the size of the frame; in other words, your chain might need to be a different length than mine.