View Single Post
Old 01-07-19, 10:08 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I usually use clipless (SPD) on pedals that are one side SPD and one side platform. I want the platform side for when I am wearing regular shoes around the campsite and want to go to the grocery store or the pub or other short trip. I also wear regular shoes (hiking shoes) if I am on very difficult terrain and might have to get my feet on the ground very quickly. I have been on some roads where there were more cobbles than gravel, on those roads I really liked the platform side.

A few years ago I wrote up an comparison of A530 pedals and M324 pedals at this link:
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...l#post18306425

There are a few other pedals that work with both kinds of shoes, but I was only familiar with the two that I compared.

A friend of mine always tours with platform and toe clips. He does not want to carry the weight of a second pair of shoes, so he uses his sneakers for everything.

Another friend of mine always used platform until he hit a speed bump in Ireland last summer, his foot slipped off the pedal and he woke up when the EMTs were prepping him for a trip to the hospital. I do not know what he will be using in the future, but it might be something different.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 01-07-19 at 11:05 AM.