fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Bikes: 2016 Giant Sedona, 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Have you looked into a trike, either offroad or even a fat trike? (something like this)

The advantage of these is that you can gear them really low and pedal at whatever rate you need to without having to stop and put a foot down, which lets you more easily moderate your exertion level.

The main disadvantages are price, and finding a way to park them.

What was noted above about wearing something over your nose/mouth really can make a difference, since you're breathing in warmer, more humid air. Here in UT, at altitude in the winter (a bad combo for me!), I switched from an open nose mask to one that covers my nose/mouth, and it really improved my breathing.
I haven't looked into a trike. Not to judge a book by the cover, but they look sort of uncomfortable. (Especially the one in the link.) Also, on our campus - parking that thing would nearly be impossible.

I think the biggest issue I had was the seat height. After finding out how to adjust the seat, things got a little easier. But hills are still more difficult on my new bike than it was on my old 12-speed. My 12-speed would power up those hills with little effort, while this new bike has some difficulty.making it up those hills using slightly more effort.

I should probably look into masks, but my main concern is how one would restrict my breathing. I usually breathe pretty hard (especially on hills.) But is there any other options other than balaclavas - the last thing I want is to be confused as a robber or serial killer.