Old 04-26-19, 08:06 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Landscaping Crew Broke My Spoke!

My facility has a weekly landscaping crew that comes in to mow, edge and blow things clean. Our bike rack borders the lawn, and the concrete pad into which the rack was installed does not extend far enough to prevent about 18" of bike overhang onto the grass.

Naturally, the workers move the bikes to do a complete job, and this has resulted in some minor scuffing and things on my bike, which I was willing to ignore.

That is until last night, when I came out to find that a spoke had been sheared off at the nipple where my lock chain passed through the front wheel.

I showed a photo the facility manager this morning and asked that we handle this separately. She sent a message to the landscaping company instructing them to no longer touch bikes while doing their work. She also instructed her team to come up with a solution to extend the concrete pad to prevent this in the future.

EDIT: It was a cyclocross wheel with disc rotors, so the broken spoke didn't affect the ride home at all.

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 04-26-19 at 08:10 AM.