Old 04-27-19, 05:05 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by berlinonaut
It would also be a bad idea - an one-wheeled trailer hitched to the axle puts too much stress on the Brompton's rear frame hinge sideways. An one-wheeled trailer attached to the seat-post is not a problem, the same goes for a two-wheel trailer on the axle.

Thanks
I noted the same strain on the rear frame when I toyed with putting the Brommie 2 speed on a axle mount Cyclops resistance trainer
It is not designed to handle that type of torsional leverage on the rear frame.
Seat post may handle that stress better,
Interestingly I have used a GoPro to "selfie"the bike when I wanted to watch how my bags and panniers performed under load and when getting bounced. Better than my prior way to assess, which is by counting things at the end of a ride.
Seat pics might keep me from running for office, later on, though.
Got the idea watching the Travoy and seeing it flex and bounce like a buckboard at the plastic hinges. It needs care in loading
I have seen one on Ebay for parts before they sold the hinges as parts.
Got dropped loaded and upper hinge broke
Trailers are so often overloaded that it needs to be factored in.
I have used the BoB to tote propane tanks but at wheelbarrow speed
and on bikes with more solid rear triangles

Fietsbob: the Bob Nutz are solid and won't pass shifter chain ( ? funnel nut = shifter side hub nut?)
Their other downside , beside cost, is the possible need for a separate wrench in the tool pouch

Last edited by bikebikebike; 04-27-19 at 05:39 AM.