View Single Post
Old 05-12-19, 07:55 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2737 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Di2 with 8050 (and presumably GRX) will not allow the two smallest rear sprockets to be used when the front is in the small chainring.

My guess is that Shimano shares some of your concerns. I also think they realize that some will push the boundaries of what's possible and are trying to put up guardrails.

Anyway, it is blocked in software. When I upgraded from 6870 to 8050 shadow/clutch, those two gears were simply gone.

-Tim-
thats interesting. I've generally always been very aware of not cross chaining, but we always had to do it in our heads, and I know a lot of people dont give it a second thought or are aware of it, so thats neat that with electronic shifting, they just took those combinations off what combos you can shift into.

I'm still interested in seeing how 11 spd chainlife compares, although I am very aware that there are many many factors that come into play for chain life, but I still think that a consensus will start to show as more folks use 11, and not just in perfectly clean situations.