Old 05-17-19, 01:10 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I can't get over how reversed this is from my own story. I started cycling as Joey Bike's "forced march", always and only with a purpose and specific destination. I pretty much hated it at first. Joey was always a cyclist and loved it, but ends up cycling only when he has to.

Now I bike to work, still, because I enjoy the ride. Anywhere I go on the bike, it's because I enjoy it. Yet also one reason I dislike driving a commute are the randomly inattentive and senseless drivers, which cycling gets me away from, while Joey stays OFF the bike for the same reason. Rush hour driving is stressful, cycling the same hour is relaxing, but for Joey Bike it's the other way around. Everything, reversed.

Heck, Joey even taught us that running red lights and stop signs, if you do it right and in the right places and times, is not only rational but sometimes safer. But if he's afraid to mix in traffic now, do we need to reconsider that? Does the fear of traffic contradict the confidence of flowing with the traffic while loosely affiliated with traffic laws? Maybe ...
Likes For wphamilton: