Old 05-17-19, 06:00 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
After trying more than a few, I've come to conclude that I do not care for multi-tools. The inevitably have one or more bits that I simply do not need, the length of the bits is often too short to effectively reach some fasteners on the bike, and when the most commonly used bit starts to get a little knackered (like the M4, for instance) I start to have second thoughts about taking it out of the bag.

So for awhile I just carried a selection of Bondhus ballend hex keys in the sizes I needed. It worked, but was certainly fiddly. I bought a Pro Bike Tool Mini Ratchet a little over a year ago, and it has become my absolute favorite. Take only the sizes you need-- the 1" long 1/4" drive bits are not only cheap, but available for absolutely every fastener imaginable. The Pro Bike tool came with T30 and M2, neither of which I need, but I simply replaced those with T20 and M2.5, which I already had on hand. I also carry a 3" long M4, which makes working on seatpost and stem bolts much easier.

I have a Park CT-5 in my EDC bike bag, but have never had to use it outside the shop. It works every bit as well as my Park CT3.2, it's just much smaller, much lighter, and requires a little more hand force (less leverage.)