View Single Post
Old 06-16-19, 09:30 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
I really like wrapping handlebars. Cloth tape, Cello, cork, ribbon...I like doing them all...

I dislike building wheels. I've done three, and they came out fine. But I found that I just don't enjoy doing it...
Haw, I am the opposite. I love wheelbuilding. I do it while I'm watching tv, it's like knitting (mindless counting and over/under/through) but with metal and at the end you don't get a scarf, you get a wheel, which is significantly more valuable especially if it has a dynamo in the middle!

Hate wrapping bars. I can always see the asymmetry and find fault in myself after I'm done.

But worst of all is bottom brackets. There is always some problem. Some stuck fixed cup that damages even my vise jaws before I resort to heating it red hot and destroying the paint, or bad threads that mysteriously are still bad even after I've chased them with my tap set or I have no idea which way it turns (French vs Swiss ) or weird 26tpi British Standard Cycle/Raleigh thing that is made of metal harder than my taps and only Phil Wood makes a non-cottered cartridge for. Or someone put in a threadless bottom bracket even though the shell is threaded ?!!