bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Some pretty nice bikes here.

Names seem to have gone in and out of common usage so I'm not sure 'xactly what sports touring means. I take it to mean a bike good for (almost) everything, a bike you could take touring occasionally but mostly go on day rides for fun or transportation. Inotherwords what has also been called a sport bike. Granted carrying a load requires stability but otherwise most non-pure racers could do the trick. Back when I bought my first lightweight bike that meant almost any bike of decent quality that was affordable. No corncob FWs or finicky tubular tires. Just good performance in a reliable package. So I nominate this, classic and rideable:

It has carried different components though the years, currently has a Sugino Maxy crank and various alloy parts and wheels. But 38 years later it looked like this:
Its successor in the basement is this Gran Sport, also a go-anywhere bike, not as ubiquitous as the UO-8 but still classic though now wearing fenders and lights:
Originally Posted by non-fixie
I'm still trying to get my head around the definition of 'sports tourer' (is it like a 'sportif'?), but if it's calliper brakes, shortish chain stays, but with just enough room and eyelets for fenders, then these two should fit the bill.
@jimmuller and @non-fixie, those are beautiful bikes. The UO-8, UO-9, and UO-10 bikes are real classics as is the gran sport and non-fixie's Dutch bikes are amazing as well.

I think both of you got it right as to what a sports touring bike means but yeah the term doesn't have as specific a meaning as a touring or a racing bike. That's part of the reason why I started this thread is to see what BF members own and what do they think of the term. I defined loosely the term in the first post (the bike has to have eyelets and long reach brakes) as to exclude touring and racing bikes and leave open a lot of room for interpretation.

I always liked sports touring bikes but I've only recently picked on up. For a long time I had a road racing bike for road riding and a touring bike for touring. But lately I've been riding my sports touring more because I appreciate a little fatter tire and the versatility of a rack.

Last edited by bikemig; 01-10-16 at 07:41 AM.