Old 06-19-18, 07:21 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
One more thing, I just looked at the specs on the Verve 3,and it has a suspension seat post. My experience is those are maintenance problems and extra weight without any noticeable benefit. If you've never had one, it sounds good in theory, but ends up just being a part that wears out. You'll still feel the bumps if you don't get off the seat.
A suspension seat post definitely takes the edge off certain types of impacts. There is benefit to them, but there are also drawbacks. As with everything in life, right? I own two suspension seat posts (the cheap kind); one came on my 2015 Verve 3 and the other came on my wife's 2006 Trek 7100. She likes hers, but I've taken mine off. The thing I disliked about it was the amount of yaw it had (left-and-right twist) when riding. It just didn't feel stable. Seat posts are super cheap, though -- a rigid one can be had for 10 bucks. And that's what I did -- I bought a rigid replacement seat post. Fortunately, nearly all of our bikes use 27.2mm seat posts, so we can swap stuff around as we desire.

Regarding comfort, everyone's idea of that will differ. People like different saddles, people like different riding styles, people like different bike geometry. This is why I strongly recommend, to anyone asking about the difference between two or more bikes, to get out and ride them. Only the buyer can decide what comfort means to him or her.