View Single Post
Old 01-23-19, 06:33 AM
YankeeRider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by MontgomeryMeigs
I would like to suggest the Dash Diet. No counting calories (which I loathe), and in following the outline of the plan I've rarely felt hungry. The book contains quite a number of recipes, and even if you can't cook you can use the recipes to get an idea of what types of foods are better for you to eat.

I would also suggest combining this with a plan called the 52 Day Fitness Challenge. One sets personal goals, fitness/exercise goals, and establishes a goal for 'clean eating'. The duration of 52 days helps establish new habits.

The structure of the plan for clean eating particularly helps with success. Too many diets seem to emphasize if you have one slice of pizza, you're off the diet and a failure. The 52 Day Challenge is structured with the recognition that humans are imperfect, and that if you 'fall off' the plan for one meal one can correct on the next meal, and still continue toward your goals.

In short, I think both approaches allow a considerable degree of latitude and personal freedom, with the advantages of developing better habits while losing weight and improving fitness.
There are lots of ways that various people succeed in losing weight, but for the goal of best overall health, a lifestyle / maintenance diet, the DASH Diet and Mediterranean Diet get the most love from the medical community. They are not the same, and there is different language used to describe them, but there is nutritionally still a lot of overlap between the two - emphasis on whole foods, lots of a wide variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, healthy oils (like olive, avocado and walnutoils) and healthy nuts, high fiber whole grains and beans, fish and poultry.

Last edited by YankeeRider; 01-23-19 at 06:43 AM.