Old 07-11-19, 11:33 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Tex, the only way to really compare ride times is with a cyclometer- even a cheap, simple one will give you elapsed actual running time, so the number of stop signs and time spent at stop lights becomes irrelevant (other than any time lost in accelerating and decelerating). I've found that keeping records over time (I use a Moleskine so totally analog) on five of the main riding routes I use gives me true insight into my current fitness level. It doesn't always give me good news, but it does give me accurate information.

For example, at the beach each year, I do a daily 20 mile sprint. All out, nothing left on the table rides on the same bike that I've taken to the beach for years. Four years ago I struggled to keep my average for the 20 miles in the high teens. Sure, there's the heat factor, and the wind does change direction and strength from day to day, but over time and a large number of rides, it was clear that 18-19 was pretty much the max and it was HARD. After training with my SiL and daughter earlier in the summer, this year we exceeded 20 several times. Best was an average of 20.4. Without the inexpensive CatEye Strada cyclometer I use, would never have known about the improvement.