burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Felt DA buildup

Well, I posted up on Slowtwitch and the local Chapel Hill bike group areas asking if anyone had essentially a "bin job" time trial frame. Not something like shrapnel of carbon in a bucket, but maybe something that was a 5 to 10 year old frame with the components picked off of it.

A guy in CH responded "have one for free, come get it". I looked up the frame before driving out, legit frame. Went to get it, needs work, but nothing un-manageable at all. He rode it as-is for quite a while.

Basically it's a 2008-2010 Felt DA with bayonet fork. Also gave me an HED base bar and a pretty run of the mill 105 crank with a pretty used Rotor Q ring. We'll see there, the ring looks a bit used but I need to clean it first.

Lots to do on the to-do list.

Base bar is really nice, but, may prove problematic given it's out of production and needs the clamps for the skis. They're a weird part. I could borrow time on the BIL's milling machine and mill out a pair of clamps for about $15 in material I guess, then use the skis from my current TT clip on's.

I'll post progress pics as things happen.

So far, just disassembled the rest. It took a while to drill out and easy-out a fastener and get the headset/fork apart. I wiped it down so I don't track grease everywhere when I work on it.

Next: probably will do the carbon repair on the chainstay this weekend. It's in a very easy spot and I'm pretty sure I have plenty of leftover resin/fabric from my last job.

So, here it is: