Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
nicely done. a few question/comment

-how much effort (time and money) are you willing to put into this? I ask b/c this is one of those do it once/do it right type of things.
-What is free may not be what is best for your purpose. The older stuff doesn't have as much adjustment, so be aware there. Something that allows for quite a bit of adjustment (like Vuka alumina) may be a better option here
-along those lines, if possible, get Di2; makes position adjustment (and you'll have quite a few of these) a lot easier
-don't skimp on the small stuff. I think I raced with shot derailleur pulleys for a year; probably stole 5-10 watts.

Good luck and have fun

PS. Hope you are wearing a N95 mask while doing the CF work
-All in, if I sell an old golf putter of mine worth a little, will be about $250. Without, about $350.
-Di2 is way out of the cost range, I'm not going to run cables until I put it on the trainer and setup my laptop camera so I can see myself on the TV and take some pics, and make adjustments.
-I am replacing worn stuff as I find it. I got a used FD/RD for cheap, but if the jockey wheels look or feel crap I'll replace them.
-I did go with new chain, the cassette on the wheels I'll use is in great shape. I may have to spring for the chainring though. The one I was given is worn a bit.

Stan's special HED basebar....I can dig it. Those pads can adjust about 1.5" fore/aft. I use the same width on my roadie clip on setup.