View Single Post
Old 05-16-19, 02:02 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Your correction is incorrect; the threads are right handed for both axle nuts for Sturmey-Archer IGH's at least for the three, four and five speeds. Livedarklions is correct, the threads are some odd English size; I believe it might be Whitworth.

Also the S-A left nut thread material is significantly softer than the S-A axle material and will easily strip if over-tightened. The Right hand nut as shown on the previous picture is made of a harder material and does not strip threads as easily as the left. I used to use the right hand nut (with the indicator chain window) on both sides to assure that the wheel would stay in place. Sometimes I had to add extra washers because the right hand nut can not always be fastened all the way down to the bicycle frame because it is necked down at the one end.
OK, so maybe the left-handed screw thing is a false memory. Can we go on to right nut and left nut jokes now?