View Single Post
Old 08-03-19, 06:22 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I am like you a type 2 diabetic. I weigh 255 lbs when I started. I started riding my beach cruiser to work in April. First I would ride to work one way then catch the transit home. My commute is about 12 miles one way, moderate hills. I started riding every other day. Next month, I started riding both directions three times a week. My commute started at 70-80 minutes one way. On my third month, I got my commute times down to 60 minutes to work and 70 minutes coming home. My personal bests are 50 min to work and 108 minutes coming home. I have decided to purchase an ebike.

By bicycling to/from work, I have lost about 15 lbs and my long term insulin dose has been reduced by about 50%, while my short term insulin dose has been reduced by 80%. I haven't been on a bicycle for 20 years. My goal is to lose 100 lbs by next summer. I have been working with my endochronologist and a nutritionist to lower my carb intake, eat healthier, and lose weight. I have had diabetes since 2003 and was in denial for a long time. Diabetes diagnosis was a wake up call for me, the diagnosis is a wake up call, you can live but requires a big adjustment. I even got depressed about it at times. Diabetes is a reminder of mortality and at 33 years old I wasn't ready to stop living. Sometimes you feel like the your friends and society as a whole doesn't understand that you can't be flippant about eating healthy, it's not an option its required. They're a lot of challenges trying to live on a spartan diet. It can get depressing when good intention people want you to celebrate with them.

This month, I have decided to bicycle commute 4 times a week. I notice when I bicycle to work I am able to reduce my short term insulin dose to 0-6 units. When I started, My A1c was 8.4, by riding my last A1c is 6.1. I know that cycling/diet makes a difference. I am 53 years old and used to swim a lot to stay in shape for surfing.. You don't have to kill yourself on the distance start small and incrementally increase. Success builds more riding. I also listen to music on a bluetooth speaker when I'm commuting, it's relaxing and motivating.

My ebike is a 2017 Raleigh Retroglide ie. I commute to work on it. My times on level 2 assist, is consistently 50 mins both ways. Going home it's a slight incline and against wind. If I'm in a rush, I use Level 3 assist (out of 4) and I am able to cut my time by about 5 mins with an increase in speed of about 2-4 MPH. I like the ebike because it helps to keep me on the bicycle on days when I am not necessarily 100%, also faster recovery times. This week, I am tuning up the ebike and have gone back to regular bicycling I use more gears on my regular bicycle which is an Electra Townie 21d. I am considering purchasing a hub drive ebike to compare the two styles of ebikes. Riding an ebike is like Pee Wee Herman's movie where he's cruising in front of the racers at a leisurely pace.

I am trying to become a four season commuter. This winter will be a first on a bicycle, but I also ride a motor scooter. I don't own a car and have integrated bicycling as a lifestyle choice as opposed to a fitness goal. Also since gear can get expensive, I started treasure hunting at thriftstores and bicycle coops to get good cycling gear. What took me so long I don't know, but I am out doing it now. I encourage you to start small and progress as you move along. Success breeds more riding. I hope that you find my post inspirational and know that you can do whatever you want to. Good luck to you. This forum has been very encouraging to me.

Last edited by alloo; 08-03-19 at 06:35 AM.
Likes For alloo: