Old 08-08-19, 02:59 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by p4k9
That’s good advice. Thanks! Would I need to upgrade the whole groupset ? Or could I just do the rear system?
Unfortunately I'm no bike mechanic so I'd have a hard time telling you. When it comes to my bike, I built it up from an Eomonda ALR frameset, number 1 priority was powermeter, one of the cheapest dual sensing options I could find was the FSA powerbox alloy. My 2nd was groupset, I wouldn't go less then 105 period, because it's simply some of the best value you're going to find. Next priority were wheels, pretty much the best value option you're going to find are light-bicycle wheels, I considered them heavily, but eventually ended up spending a bit more and getting Aeolus 5s. As a side note, I personally would recommend something in the 50mm range, the Dura-ace c24s are nice, but I'd go C50s if I was planning to stick with Shimano.

So... If I were in your situation, I would probably get a single sided discounted powermeter, or one from ebay, upgrade to latest Shimano 105, and get some GP5000 Continental tires.

Then, after I obtained more money, I would probably get some Bontrager Aeolus Comp 5 TLR Disc Road Wheels. A setup like this with your frame would be some of the biggest bang for your buck.