Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by therks
Thanks everyone. @Carbonfiberboy - I am in the research phase of trying to buy a bike "the right way." My current road bike was bought used, and it has served/fit me well enough over the years but it hasn't been my "primary" ride until recently. I was primarily a mountain biker. I'm looking at getting more into road and perhaps tri riding since I moved to NYC and a 22 year old Bianchi is due to be given a bit of a rest. I used to have really great trails not that far from my house in NJ... not so much anymore. I know nothing about proper road bike sizing other than what "feels" like it works well enough for up to an hour or two ride. Since I'm going to spend more time in the road saddle I want to make sure I get as close to a properly sized bike to avoid making a huge/costly mistake right out of the gate. I also don't want to spend a bunch of money that doesn't need to be spent... hence, asking opinions from folks who have more experience presumably than I do.
So go here: https://www.competitivecyclist.com/S...ulatorBike.jsp
take your measurements and enter them into the calculator. That'll get you close.

See my post in DIY Bike Fit, right below your thread. At the bike shop, pick a bike which has measurements close to what the calculator says. Have the shop put the bike on a trainer and do the operations I suggested. Hopefully they'll swap stems and saddles for you. Then go for a ride, see how it feels.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 08-20-19 at 11:04 AM.