muraii

Bikes: 1980's (probably) Windsor 10-speed road bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campagnolo—Options for Lower Gearing

Hello!

i have the same SOMA + Campagnolo setup I’ve posted about before. 10-speed with Record shifters, crank, chainrings, and rear derailleur and Chorus front derailleur. I’m running a conventional 53/39 (I think) and an 11-25 in back.

I’m not a racer nor interested in becoming one. I’m slowly gaining strength but still spend 80% or more of my rides in the small chainring. That’s due partially to ride type, and that’s mostly commuting and casual rides, but I’m most interested in touring so I’ll tend to be carrying some weight and be in those lower gears anyway.

I’m finding my options to affordably move to something with gear ratios more appropriate for my riding. Having roughly 35 gear-inches at the low end of my range is not giving me lots of room for any climbing of note.

There are rumored to be Campy-compatible chainrings but beyond Wick Werks’ ultrawide 53/34 they don’t make any, and there’s a dearth of other options I’ve been able to find.

So I’m left with some options:

- Leave the bike as-is. It’s fine.
- Buy a whole new drivetrain that fits what I want.
- Hope to find a compatible 10-speed cassette like 12-34 or something.
- Hope to find a compatible chainring set. The Chorus 48/32 is for 12-speed drivetrains I think, and honestly wouldn't seem to help much by itself.
- Buy a new bike.

What am I missing?