View Single Post
Old 08-22-19, 09:37 AM
ciclista_pazza

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Absolute, Yokota mountain bike (199?), 1979 Schwinn Le Tour Mixte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Is there a possibility the problem might derive from the bike shorts themselves and have nothing to do with bike fit or saddle? I bring this up because, in the past I've had two bike shorts that did not work for some reason. One pair caused chafing severe enough I was carrying extra chamois cream in a tiny plastic bag. The other shorts caused a rash at the sewn on band just above the knee. I'm allergic to latex so I surmise latex in this area caused the rash. Since fabrics may come from anywhere on the planet so it could also be that the it was not latex at all but some unknown substance used by the manufacturer. I have in mind here the situation of a number of years ago when it was discovered that Chinese supplied baby formula contained melamine. I eventually had to throw both those shorts out.

The other possibility is the saddle. For myself, I need a saddle with a very narrow horn area, the part that juts out in front of where the sit bones rest. So narrow, in fact that I have to customize saddles by narrowing that area myself with a heat gun. Until I discovered what I need in a saddle, I was contemplating giving up cycling.
Thanks! I doubt it's the shorts because those haven't changed and are still fairly new. I've also used the same Brooks saddles for years - a B17 on my road bike and a wider sprung version on my hybrid. I've measured my sit bones and there doesn't seem to be any issue with the width of either saddle. I've never had any problem until the past 6 months. I'm pretty heartbroken about the possibility of not using Brooks saddles anymore since I've always been such a fan and I especially love my sprung saddle, but it's to the point where I just want to ride again and will try anything.