Old 08-22-19, 12:10 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Regarding the sporty type ISM saddle and similar designs, I've heard a few anecdotes.

Part of the problem trying to make sense of some anecdotes is the lack of specificity. Folks are often shy to describe specifics about their undercarriage. And if they describe a rash or skin irritation, some commenters will pile on with presumptions about personal hygiene even when the original poster specifies every preventive measure taken.

So when someone says "Such and such saddle/shorts/magic fixed my saddle sores!", we don't know what problem was fixed if they didn't specify whether it's an ache or bruise type pain on the sit bones, numbness in the perineum (generally the urethra in men), labia swelling (two of the main reasons cutout saddles were developed), rash without skin break, or a full on skin break sore, it's difficult to give or get useful advice.

In my case, I've lost 25 lbs since I resumed cycling in 2015, including some padding where I sit. So saddles and clothing that were comfortable at 175 lbs ain't comfy at 150.

Often rashes aren't a hygiene problem but a recurrence of viral or fungus problems that are usually dormant until our immune system is compromised. Most folks have some exposure to the same viruses and fungi that cause skin problems, but they may have few or no problems if they're relatively healthier, have no auto-immune disorders, are relatively stress-free, etc. Between Hashimoto's and psoriatic arthritis I've seen various skin irritations pop up and vanish over the decades, usually around my hands and occasionally scalp. I had athlete's foot once in junior high school and never since, but once we've been infected that stuff never really goes away and lurks to pop up elsewhere later. So at the first hint of an itch or irritation in the undercarriage I use miconazole, a potent topical steroid ointment and zinc oxide with diphenhydramine to keep it from worsening. And it always accompanies times of stress in my life, including pesky physical health issues.

A friend tried an ISM saddle a couple of years ago after struggling with persistent saddle pain. He wasn't specific. At least half of the comments were useless stuff about personal hygiene, presuming he hadn't already tried everything. It was sore sit bones, and the ISM saddle didn't help since extreme cutout saddles force all the support onto the sit bones. With full saddles the pressure is spread out to include the perineum, which can be helpful for some folks. He's back to Fizik saddles. It may have a slight, shallow center recess but not a full cutout.

In his early Worst Retirement Ever videos, Phil Gaimon specified perineal and penile numbness as the reason for switching to an ISM or similar saddles. Looking at his fairly extreme aero tuck for KOM attempts, it's easy to see why that could be an issue.

I had similar problems when I first tried an aero bar, or using the invisible aero bar -- draping the forearms across the bar. Stuff got numb and achy where I'd never had problems before. I had to tilt the saddle nose down a bit to compensate. But eventually I started trying cutout saddles. The first, a Selle Italia Q-bik, wasn't quite right for any riding position on any of my bikes, road or hybrid. Too much padding on the sit bones for upright riding, not enough cutout to relieve perineum pressure when in an aero tuck. It was somewhat better with Aero Tech Pro shorts, which have minimal padding -- just a washcloth thickness of soft microfiber with little loft and no density. It was the closest I've found to old school leather chamois.

I switched back to my solid Selle Italia on one road bike, and recently the Bontrager Ajna on the other bike with lower drops and more aggressive riding position. And those Przewalski shorts I mentioned, for the excellent 3D pad. So far, so good, since last summer on many rides up to 60 miles.

I'm not sure I'd get along with a noseless saddle -- including the rather extreme Moon Saddle -- because I'm consciously using the nose of the bike both to "steer" and I slide onto the nose for short bursts of aggressive riding -- seated sprints, or mashing up climbs rather than spinning. Then I'll slide back. I'd miss having that nose and I'm not sure I could change my riding style now. I was a little concerned about the slightly shorter Ajna saddle, but so far the nose has been long enough for my style that I don't notice any issues.

But on a recent large group ride I chattered with a woman who had a well worn Moon Saddle and she loved it. So it works for some folks.

Last edited by canklecat; 08-22-19 at 12:17 PM. Reason: clarification
Likes For canklecat: