Old 08-23-19, 06:43 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,373 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
I thought about this thread during last night's ride while on an old bike with 20 gear inch low. Bring on the beastly climb- honestly easier than walking. Zero stress and I could slow my cadence to near resting heart rate.
that reminds me of a road along the Illinois river bluffs that was often a part of my commute home from work. Lovely little road, but the bottom section was a bit over 14% and the camber was fairly severe at the bends. Not so bad on the upright commuter, but a handful on the recumbent when grinding up it at 3.5mph. For reference, the low gear on both bikes is somewhere around a 26 (front) x 30 (rear).

.... but... I wanted to agree with the observation that walking can be more work than pedaling. There were icy days on that hill when it just wasn't wise to ride up it, so I walked up. I think I was walking at the same speed I rode at, but it seemed like more work. The serenity from knowing that I wouldn't hit an icy patch and end up on my butt compensated for the extra work, though.

a token shot of the steep bit at the bottom of the hill:

Steve in Peoria