View Single Post
Old 12-09-19, 05:50 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by diverge52rider
I understand counterfeit gear is old news in cycling but these fake Shimano pedals really opened my eyes. The genuine 105s aren't terribly expensive to begin with (unless you're in certain parts of the world) and the fakes were only selling for about $25 less than what I could find on Amazon. The idea of these "used-counterfeit goods" ending up on the second-hand market makes me wary of what's floating out there ...

The video is in Korean, so maybe someone in the community can further elaborate. Photos at the end show very subtle differences in packaging/manufacturing between the fake and genuine product:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g4suCNkcts

There's another video (in English) where fake Ultegra pedals are compared to a set of Dura-Ace, but I don't know if there's a legit comparison to be had there.

I would say e-Bay and Amazon also. These are fake and detectable with the packaging, but many of the e-Bay deals will also sell 'white box' parts. All real shimano parts I have bought have had instructions and an exploded diagram with sharp, clear (but tiny ) printing. Caveat Emptor always on too good to be true deals. Used is a real crap shoot.