Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
“99 percent of all statistics only tell 49 percent of the story.”
Ron DeLegge II, Gents with No Cents

The statistics, if done "right", are made up of large populations. That includes people who ride drunk at night wearing dark clothes with no reflectors (and at this point, it doesn't matter whether they are facing or riding with traffic...). For yourself and your family, the "statistics" tell you to put effort into learning safe practices.

What is important is how you behave. There are a lot of resources out there:

https://www.bicyclesafe.com/ This is a good quick overview of what to be alert for. You can jump start your situational awareness by looking for the collision types developing as you ride.

https://www.bikeleague.org/ridesmart Besides the internet content, here in the US the League facilitates training classes. I've taken it twice and I'll take it again in the future because I learn something new each time.

There's lots more out there. I've been commuting by bike for over 15 years on US suburban roads and I am still learning how to be a safer rider.

Maintain situational awareness and be conspicuous.

Then it will be much less likely that you'll be the individual in the "statistical population" that gets injured or killed.
Given all the input I have read so far, this is the post I would pay attention. Most people do not take the time to learn how to bike safely. Ride Smart is a good overview. Cycle Savvy would be another. Pay extra attention where accidents happen. How to take the lane. And other types of learning.

Also, there are many people, even those who bike, who will be willing to tell you about the horrors of riding on roads. There is no doubt that the Dutch approach is the one that should be used all over the world. Having said that, the concerns expressed by many people in N. America, is exaggerated and I expect start with fear and lack of training. That is not to say, they have not had accidents and maybe not their fault. Happens driving and walking too.
I have ridden in cities and rural areas in Europe on self contained tours and techniques are similar.