Old 10-15-17, 11:42 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by bartek.
Seems like the SRM is only reasonable option for power measurement. It's quite pricey though. In fact, that Stages is not really what I want, I started to think how much I could spend for the power meter and discovered a huge price gap between them.

Then I realized that in fact, by buying the SRM, I get also the crankarms, so basically I can "reduce" the price of the SRM by saving on the new S75DD crankset that was on a buying list for the new bike. In fact, saved money would give the SRM into reasonable price range (Stages ~$1000, SRM ~$2000, S75DD ~$500) of $1500.

Is it a good way of thinking? I guess that SRM crankarms are stiff and durable enough for training/racing?
All I need is to buy extra is a DA BB-7710?

I am also wondering, cause I can select a crankarm length on the website, but I cannot select decal and crankarm colors and I saw many options of them. Do you know how to choose it while buying?
Or maybe can I order SRM spider without the crankarms and use the DA cranks instead?
There are several reasonable options. Some get eliminated based on "deal-breakers" based on the features you absolutely have to have. SRM seems to have fewer deal-breakers than the others. The main one you mention...price.

ANT+ SRMs will work with less expensive head units. So, that might save you some $.

You don't need the Dura Ace 7710 BB (~$100). The 105 or Ultegra BB will work fine, too. I've used them. As with all things 105, Ultegra, and Dura Ace, you are paying for fit, finish, and weight reduction.

Beware of power meters that meet the minimum requirement to be a power meter just to get in the game (like the one that measured air pressure).

The SRM cranks are very, very stiff. Actually more stiff than Dura Ace.

If you are worried about getting the decal or crank color you want, just call in your order. They are really nice. I've been to SRM HQ. They make each unit by hand after your order it (online or phone).

You can probably buy just the spider and put on whatever SRM crank arms you want (I had multiple arms when I owned my last SRM), but you will have to learn to calibrate them yourself which is what SRM does for you when you buy them. No, you cannot use a DA arm on SRM spider. You CAN use a DA left crank arm with a SRM right crank arm + spider. Team GB did that for a while. I think to save a few grams even though it wasn't pretty.