Old 02-16-18, 11:07 PM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Could it be that tire and/or rim manufacturing techniques and tolerances are better? I recall being able to mount a new Conti tire with only hands in the 90s and early 2000s. But in the past 10 years or more, I have to fight to get them on even using shop quality tire levers. Cursing. Once I got so pissed I took it to a local bike shop and had absolutely no shame at all paying another man to mount a tire for me.

Most recently, it took me over 30 minutes to mount the two Vittoria tires on my training wheels a couple of months ago. Hands were sore afterwards.
I feel you there. I've driven begrudgingly to the repair shop before to have this done, and to my embarrassment had to watch a young kid mount the tire in 30 seconds. :-) Must be an art form. I had to start wearing leather gloves for this same reason. I was tearing the crap out of my hands trying to get the last 6 inches of the tire over the rim. Have you tried using a blow dryer to heat the tire up so it stretches easier? I've heard of guys setting their tires on those old fashioned radiators for a while before mounting.