cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
My job involves some videoconference consulting so I am hoping the corporation will let me do 2 hours of that every Friday AM from home and I would take the rest of the day off. I could do it as a private, self-employed contractor, but it is much less hassle to do it through a sponsoring institution that keeps the records secure, and handles scheduling and faxing and invoicing and other administrative matters, as it would be annoying and maybe not very cost-effective for me to set up a parallel infrastructure of my own for 2 hours of work a week!
Quoting myself with an update. I have been approved for a pilot project to do video consulting from home with my corp's blessing. I have to upgrade my own equipment with a better camera and microphone (about $250 total - according to tracking it was delivered today) and scramble to clear part of the basement to provide a simulated office setting as a background, so it doesn't look obvious to clients that I am at home. The basement is ideal as it is fairly soundproof and I can plug straight into the router instead of using wifi, for a more stable connection. Have to make sure my home printer can send faxes, or else figure out internet faxing - there are rare, mostly hypothetical, legal situations where an urgent document has to be faxed. Also have to figure out how to keep the dog quiet for an hour or two!

So sometime in the next few weeks, retirement 1.0 kicks in!

Last edited by cooker; 12-27-17 at 05:13 PM.