View Single Post
Old 07-06-19, 08:01 AM
Txthroop 

Bikes: Trek 930, Redline Conquest, Surly LHT, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the replies, everyone. I wrestled with this issue a lot and after several rides on different bikes - all with some degree of flex when loaded (although I never tried one with some weight in the front) - I went with my gut feeling that I just wouldn't feel good about a bike with that kind of movement. It would always bother me to some extent and thus probably lead to diminishing use over time and eventually to the thought that I should have listened to myself from the start. So, I changed direction and like @ocsawdust faced the issue of being cool or not. I bought a used Burley kid trailer to increase my cargo capacity and I'm happy to report that it fits my needs so well I all but forgot about the perception issues.

I had used a trailer to haul my kids when they were small but that was years ago and that trailer had long since moved on. I remembered it fondly though, so I found an older one for $50 and brought it home. It has lots of room (even though this is a single-seater model), a reasonable weight capacity and attaches quickly. Here's why I find it such a good option for me:
  • It eliminates the need for a new bike! Much more economical (although not as much fun).
  • It makes my current daily rider, a Surly Long Haul Trucker, that much more versatile. I can leave the trailer at home or hook-er-up as needed. With panniers and a porter-style bag also on the bike, I have tons of capacity. The easy hitch attachment means I can make this decision spontaneously right before I'm going to leave.
  • The trailer eliminates all the flex-y issues I had with the long tail cargo bikes. As ocsawdust points out, it does introduce some other weight transfer issues, but I find them much more palatable and if I give some thought to how the trailer is loaded it really rides very comfortably.
  • With the single-seat trailer, I am able to ride on sidewalks and bike paths in my area while still leaving enough room for oncoming bikes and pedestrians to pass. This wouldn't be an issue with a cargo bike but I was concerned about a 2-kid trailer.
I have an 11-mile commute to work and I sometimes carry food for 10 people along with supplies and equipment to get me through a 24-hour work shift. The trailer approach has made this very doable and I think it's ultimately an even better solution for me than a long tail cargo bike.