Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Tronzambony
I can jump my budget up to 2k max. I would love FS but from what i have been reading alot of people say to ride HT for awhile before you jump. What do you think? Any bike suggestions?
Having a budget under $2k is a good reason to get a hardtail. Full suspension bikes are both more complex and usually not available in the lower spec that keeps the price down. Even budget mail order brands keep it a bit north of $2k, at least for a "real" bike (4-bar rear suspension and air ride).

Another reason is that hardtails are more adaptable to other purposes if it's your only bike. They are easier to mount cargo and more efficient on a road. The MTB-with-slicks is a commuter staple but almost none of those are full suspension. This is the main reason I've got a hard tail right now. I've been considering replacing my road bike (which is basically only good for working out) with a more hybrid or commuter style bike and then having lost that rationale I'm likely to shopping for a FS again.

A third reason is, a hardtail (or full rigid, or single speed) will help you develop better skills. This theory is one part merit (it does) but one part curmudgeon (you needed those skills more if you didn't have suspension). If you are riding somewhere with a pump track that looks like fun or trails with a lot of skinnies and ramps, yeah, but most of my riding is on single track shared with horses and dogs and their walkers, and it wasn't a consideration.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 02-29-20 at 10:25 AM.
Likes For Darth Lefty: