Old 06-28-15, 08:37 PM
RedandBlack

Bikes: '14 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I would like to say two things.

First off, I agree with what others have said about bike choices. Those tires should be considered a novelty for very specific conditions (as in you live near a MTB trail that you ride often). For a tour you need to consider practicality. Bike shops with the gear and knowledge needed to repair that bike are few and far between and parts will be more expensive. Also, it limits your options for future tours. Europe, Latin America and Asia are unlikely to have any of the parts needed for an epic journey. In my research, 26" are a great balance. You can get a pair that are smooth in the center and rough towards the edges (sorry my terminology is non-existent) that will make road travel painless, but can still handle some reasonable off road sections. Plus, these tires/bikes are used worldwide which helps for repairs. I'm looking into a LHT 26" myself for my first tour.

Second, make sure you don't rush things and are doing it for the right reasons. I was in a similar mental state as you when I decided to tour and almost bought a ticket to Lisbon, Portugal the very night I found bike touring. Take a breather; the roads and trails will still be there if you delay your trip by a season. Ask your self what you want to see, how you want to travel, and why. Map our your travel with the weather patterns of the area/time of year. For example, I realized that starting in November in a foreign country was biting off a little much for my first tour. Since then I have decided to start in April and do an American tour first before landing in Europe the following Spring. When I made the decision to tour the phrase going through my head was, "**** it, I'm done". Now it's, "**** yes, I've begun". I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is important that you are riding towards something and not merely away from something. It will still be there when you get back; the trick is to have gained something to counteract it. Best of luck to you and your travels. Hopefully we'll cross paths on our respective journeys.