View Single Post
Old 05-30-18, 11:16 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Thanks for the links. They go in depth explaining several points of view.

I agree that "Chinacarbon" parts can be as strong or stronger than the latest-greatest, being that it's easier to over-build than it is to surgically shave off areas that aren't necessary.

I think it's difficult for companies to say, "If their stuff breaks, you are S.O.L. but if our stuff breaks you can demand a replacement or even sue us..." because that may remind people that they can do that...or it's even inviting people to do that.

It's a tough position to be in.

I've enjoyed such service. I went through maybe 4 Specialized Toupe 143 saddles within 2 months as all the shells cracked in the center. Same for my teammate who was of normal weight and he went through like 6 of them. As soon as we saw the crack, we just took it to the shop and got a new one over the counter. No muss. No fuss.

I think customer service is where companies will win. But, also, there has to be a concerted effort of the bike community to support these companies and not go cheap. But, these companies have to not artificially inflate prices, either (looking at you, LOOK, Pinarello, Campagnolo).

I often wonder, what's more dangerous... a generic carbon wheel or a 10 year old Hed/Mavic/Zipp that's on it's 4th owner with an unknown history. Maybe neither? Maybe both.
As I learned in college: It depends....