View Single Post
Old 08-13-19, 08:31 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Fine, you're right. Happy?

I'll echo that appropriately tight nuts or QR will likely prevent any issue with using the trailer. As always, consult with the manufacturer for approved or prohibited arrangements. It's no skin off my back if your rear wheel ends up jammed against the chainstay or seatstay under speed. A burley hitch doesn't seem to apply the same kind of torque to the frame that cheaper Schwinn/Instep hitches do.

The only thing reducing the work (physics definition) you'll be doing is the wheels on your bike and trailer (by reducing friction). Unless the kids lose mass during the ride (because, you know, kids), you've already noted that you're in fact performing extra work. You will expend more energy accelerating, climbing, and braking. Brake early until you get the hang of it. Cornering with my trailer is also impaired, less due to the additional mass, and more to do with the hitch attachment not allowing as much lean.

My experience with a trailer is that its a great way to get out on a ride while the kiddos take a nap, because they inevitably start snoozing after 10 minutes.
Yeah, I know how to tow them around on a trailer. I just haven't paired the trailer with this particular bike. Currently it's hitched to a bike with vertical dropouts and a standard QR setup. I just want to move it.