Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Any new suggestions for 27" tires?
I’m not going to read back over the thread history, but I have over 4,000 commuting miles on a pair of Bontrager T1s, $20/pc at the LBS, in 27 x 1 1/4. I didn’t get many flats, they have excellent traction wet and dry, and at around a pound per tire they’re far from the heaviest out there. Great value. 100psi rating, I generally rode them between 70-80. They’re a little dead feeling below that. They were starting to show some cracking so I replaced them, wanted to try some Paselas for a long time but couldn’t kill the T1s.

Paselas are wonderful tires but I don’t have enough miles on my pair to comment on durability. This time I got 27 x 1 1/8, wire bead, black sidewall, $25/pc at my LBS. I have no idea what pressure I have in them, my gauge quit a month ago and I haven’t replaced it, but I’m pretty sure they’re less than 70-80. I figure so long as I don’t pinch flat they’re OK, and I haven’t yet, and they are still so fast and comfortable. Amazing tires really.

Edit: for reference (re pressures) I’m around 180 lbs.

Later edit: I first clicked on go to last page so I didn’t see the updated list on the first page. Sorry then that I didn’t have any new options to give. But please consider my post an endorsement for the sticky status of the thread as I am one of many who enjoy 27” wheel bikes and there are still a lot of them left to enjoy as long as we can still get nice tires. And also the tires I mentioned really are still nice tires for the $$.

Last edited by Phamilton; 08-23-19 at 12:00 AM.