BassistBiker
Wide Load

Bikes: Salsa Journeyman, Trek Fuel EX 8, State Bicycles Delfin Core-Line

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Wheel size dilemma, road & gravel.

OK, so if this is in the wrong place...please move it mods.

So, the story, I'm buying a "do everything my trail bike & fat bike can't do" bike.

It will be my:
-Fun around town bike. (pub crawls)
-Leisure rides with the wife. combination of paved paths & crushed gravel trails (usually 10-15 miles)
-Commuter a couple time a week. (about 20 miles round trip)
-Gravel rides a few times a month. (about 30 miles)

I have a budget, and I've decided on a bike(s)...it checks most of my boxes, and based on the reviews I've read, it'll do fine with my needs....The biggest problem with the reviews is that pretty much all of them review the bike in a "gravel/off road" setting exclusively, with very little mention of how they perform on paved paths & roads (somewhere I'll be spending a considerable amount of time)....I'm hoping I can get someone to chime in that uses 650B tires, and spends some time in the saddle, on the road.

The bike is the Salsa Journeyman drop bar (Sora level)

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/journeyman_650b/journeyman_sora_650

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/journe...eyman_sora_700

So, I guess the question is....will there be a noticeable difference between those 2 wheel sizes? Tire brand/type isn't a big deal, as I'll likely be changing that....I'm more interested in the speed on the road...will the 700c wheels really be much faster on the road?

Id prefer the 650b for a little more "squish" when off road (rims are slightly wider, and can accommodate a wider tire), but I don't want to sacrifice too much speed on the road.

And before anyone suggests the obvious....a second wheelset is not in the budget at the moment, but could be considered "down the road".

Thoughts?

Thanks!