Old 03-25-20, 10:25 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Transportation in general is way way down. The number of cars on the road during the weekday are a fraction of normal. In the evening it's like a ghost town. People aren't going to work, they aren't going out to dinner, they aren't visiting friends. I expect transit is even more down than cars because people don't want to be around others. Out on the end of the MAX line where I live, I see two to four people per car these days.

The last example we had, the Spanish Flu, did not spare rural areas or even most remote villages. It took longer, but it got there and was devastating.

When comparing NY with other states, you have to keep in mind two things. First, infected people hit there sooner than much of the country so it's ahead of much of the country, and second they are testing more than any other state. If you don't test, you don't have positives.

I think New York is an example of the most dense of living in the US, that and New Jersey. Mass Transit is the most dense way to travel. And we have been told we need social distance. It could make a big change in how we view dense living conditions in the future. This pandemic may come again even if we stop it this time and if it does people seem to react the same way time after time. As an example during the time of the Black Plague in Europe the people that had the best chance of living left London to live out on rural estates. It seems as if that is an action people are taking even today. At least looking at reports by people that track these things. https://therealdeal.com/2020/03/25/e...-and-avoiding/

There is some kind of change in the air, cultural or something. https://therealdeal.com/2020/03/25/e...-and-avoiding/