3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,384 Times in 7,212 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan

For my reinstallation, I bought 2 pairs of English-dimensioned cotters from Mark Stonich at BikeSmithDesign. I still have one of my original cotters, in excellent condition, and you can have it if you want it. The Stonich Brit cotters look identical to the original Raleigh/Rudge cotters. I would also send you a pair of those to try. To me they do not need any filing.

I would recommend you contact Mark Stonich to talk to him about your crank and your intent to use those Sunlite cotters. To my eye they are not like my English ones or the Stonich cotters. As I said to my eye the British-style ones do not need any filing. If I was going to build them in, I would start by trying to install them "as virgin." I'll work on some pictures.

PM me if you are interested.
...those are doubtful, due to the unique nature of all things French.

Replacement cotters that fit well are not always easy to find. There is very limited interchangeability. The diameter of the round part of the cotter tends to be standardized according to nationality. Most use 9.5 mm, including British, Asian and most German bicycles. French and Italian bicycles used 9 mm, or sometimes 8.5 mm.