View Single Post
Old 11-11-20, 09:41 PM
JMONAY
Some hooligan

Bikes: Several 3-speed Raleighs, several old road bikes, several old mountain bikes, all slightly or heavily modified

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I had perused this thread earlier this past spring when I was thinking of getting back onto a ss/fg. I converted an '84 Takara Prestige (basically a Schwinn Traveler with cheaper crankset, if you're familiar with the Schwinn/Giant story) and used it as a fixed-gear winter beater for my first two winters in Pittsburgh. I then moved to the top of Cardiac Hill, stopped riding it, and rebuilt it back into its geared configuration for a co-worker after his bike was stolen. I had missed riding fixed even though it had been less than a year, and considered building or buying a nicer rig and not using it as a winter bike. Did lots of research, heavily considered looking for a Madison, but then really started liking the stuff that Wabi was offering. Wished they came in purple. THEN, corona landed and I figured I shouldn't be making any big purchases while income was in a lowered state.

Then came this summer, when my friend's dad basically gave me an '86 Raleigh Super Course. Purple. 531 tubing. Horizontal dropouts. Perfect single speed candidate, so I thought. But then I fell in love with it and the Suntour Cyclone groupset that it came with, and I've been riding it like that ever since. First old road bike I've come across that I didn't immediately feel like restomodding.

Fast forward to October. I'm building bikes for a bunch of friends and co-workers, constantly looking on craigslist and what do I find? A 2008 Madison in my size. So I had to have it. It had some damage on the seat stay from a previous theft attempt, but otherwise looked great for having been someone's only bike for 12 years. I took it out on its first longer ride two days ago, still basically set up the way the original owner had it just to see what I wanted to change. It fits well, just needs a 1cm shorter stem that also looks better (already ordered), a different saddle (I have my choices lined up), and am going to try riding with some Origin8 Urban Pro riser bars since I've only ever ridden fixed with drop bars. I hadn't counted the gear teeth until after I rode it, but apparently 49/18 is way too low. I kept spinning out everywhere, could hardly keep up with traffic, and even made it all the way up Cardiac Hill with relative ease. Got a 53t ring on the way to give me the ratio I think I want (hoping it fits the frame, which apparently it should*) because I wanted a lighter colored chainring anyway. If that doesn't work, I'll go 17 on the back instead.

We'll see where this goes. I'm excited.

Originally Posted by Lilcphoto
I know a 53 will fit:
​​​​​​​but just barely...depending on the cranks, you might get a bit of paint to chip off.
Likes For JMONAY: