View Single Post
Old 11-12-19, 06:00 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
From my five week tour in Canadian Maritimes this year.

Two spare tubes, patch kit, rubber gloves, one tire lever, 5mm allen wrench for my bolt on skewers. I keep a seperate allen wrench with the tubes because my other tool kit is buried in the bottom of a pannier.

Tools below. The bike I used this year has a Rohloff hub, thus the Rohloff sprocket removal tool below the spoke wrench and the lack of cassette removal tools. I packed my bike in an S&S case and that requires that I remove both crank arms, thus the crank arm puller and the S&S wrench on far left. When you are assembling and disassembling a bike that has to be packed in a small case, it is so much simpler if you bring shop sized wrenches instead of trying to do it all with a small multi-tool. Thus, I carry more tools than most cyclists. The T20 wrench is needed for some of the fittings on a Rohloff bike. The side cutter is primarily used for cutting zip ties when I unpack my bike from the S&S case, I use a lot of zip ties to pack it away. The 8 and 10mm ratcheting box wrench comes in handy for installing and removing my racks on my expedition bike.

Other spares and tools not shown, tiny little bottle of threadlocker, spare M5 and M6 bolts, spare brake cable and shift cable, brake pads for one wheel, zip ties, chain lube, roll of electrical tape, some chain links and a couple quick links. (The bike I used this year uses M6, not M5 rack bolts so I need spares in both sizes.) My spare spokes are stored in the seatpost, held in with a wine cork. That way the spokes for each of my bikes is stored with that bike so I do not get spoke sizes confused.

This is very similar to what I took to Iceland a few years ago, used the same bike on that trip too. The only difference I can recall is that I used to have self extracting crank arm bolts, but one of the self extracting mechanisms self extracted somewhere in the middle of Iceland. I now instead carry a proper crank puller.

I have a separate set of tools for a derailleur bike trip, my derailleur bikes are not S&S, thus no S&S wrench, no crank puller, no Rohloff specific tools, but add cassette removal tools.

If you have to pull a cassette, besides a cassette lock ring tool, you need a chain whip. Several years ago I posted a substitute for the chain whip here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/8...ip-travel.html

Some bikes with B&M lighting also use a T20 wrench, that size is not usually included on multi-tools. So I carry that wrench on derailleur bike trips too.

Some of my bikes use the green spoke wrench, some use the black one. I eventually gave up keeping which was which straight and now carry both in my derailleur tool kit.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 11-12-19 at 06:03 PM.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: