View Single Post
Old 12-02-19, 04:56 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I don't have a strong preference one way or the other whether there is a separate forum for bikepacking. I think of what I do as bike touring, but suspect most bike tourists would call much of what I do bikepacking. I'd be fine with a new category or a subcategory, but wouldn't lobby for it myself.

I will say that I really don't see bikepacking as really easily defined as a distinct category. There is so much overlap and blurring of the lines between it and other bike touring. The best definition I can find is:
Bikepacking is a self-supported style of lightly-loaded bicycle touring. Bikepackers typically ride on dirt roads in remote places. A typical bikepacking set-up includes a frame bag, handlebar roll, seat pack and backpack. Bikepackers ride on wide tires and usually have suspension on their bicycles.
That said some bikepackers pack pretty heavy and some bike tourists pack super light. Some bike tourists ride dirt roads in remote places and some bikepackers don't. To me it seems stupid to define the touring style by the bags they choose, so I don't see using that distinction to single out bikepacking as a separate sport. I have experimented with all kinds of crazy baggage setups on and off road and don't think they in any way define the trip.