View Single Post
Old 01-03-20, 01:50 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
For what it is worth, maybe not much if you are looking for a "big" pump -

The bontrager rush road is what I have on my touring bike. It is a combo CO2/hand pump (no gauge). Mine is the older model with the red/maroon valve cap.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black

Of note - unless the design is tweaked some - the pump housing threads to the head assembly. You will want to make sure everything is "tight" before trying to pump a tire up with it. In fact, this goes for every pump out there: Know how your pump works, what can go wrong with it, how to set it up properly, and how to repair it at home before you need it on a ride.

That having been said, I don't have any trouble getting up to 60psi with this pump on 700cx38mm tires. I do not use the CO2. It is there if I need it, but my theory is those are last-ditch options. The same goes for the CO2 though - if the pump isn't set up properly and doesn't seal well if you go to use a CO2 cartridge you'll waste it. So my thought is to hand pump. If I am really worn out or there are other circumstances I may try one, just has not happened yet. In fact, in 7 years I've only had one flat on that bike anyway...

On the other side of the coin, if you can get a pump that has a built-in gauge that may help and would be more efficient as far as pumping time goes. It certainly isn't "needed". I need to replace my stand-alone Presta gauge as it doesn't work. I tried to use it when I had my flat but it wouldn't seal on the valve stem. So I'll be on the hunt for a new one, not sure what quality gauges are out there. However, it isn't even 100% necessary for me - I can go off ride feel and get close enough to ride fine. I don't max out the pressure on my tires and I am not overly concerned with rolling resistance. Though, I do air up when I load up vs more normal riding.