Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Aznman
Not really related to cycling, but I figured that tourers should be one of the most familiar with hiking and camping.
I've never really camped except in the pre-built location several years ago by the name of Camp Curry, Yosemite, CA.

I have some scenarios that I am curious about. These scenarios may never happen within a lifetime, but I just like to prepare.

1. Say that you have found your perfect spot that is already far from any trails. However, there is already a group of people camping in the area. They are not hostile and do communicate with you but don't seem to completely appreciate the stranger (you). Assuming that you still want/need to camp in the area, what is the minimum advisable distance that your camp must be from their immediate camp?
Because I don't like staying too close to people when I'm travelling if possible, it would be my choice to move far enough away that I can't hear them.

Originally Posted by Aznman
2. Say that you are a light packer and are proficient at building comfortable shelters out of dead woods and other natural material. You've built one shelter on a spot that you really love returning to. You've returned several months later and it looks like a person has camped in and added to the structural remains of your dead-wood shelter. Given that you have no problem building another shelter far from the site, would you approach the person for a friendly, small talk about ownership? Assuming that the person is not hostile but believed that he now owned the shelter, the current camper/squatter is now legally considered to be the owner, correct? Keep in mind that your shelter was not in use for several months and you've not left any personal items in the camp, only the dead-wood structures.

For both of the scenarios, assume that you have already clearly detected that the other campers are not criminals operating in meth labs (or participating in any other nefarious activities).
Ownership? Neither of you own the shelter!
Likes For Machka: