Old 05-21-20, 11:32 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I spent five weeks bike touring Nova Scotia, PEI and New Brunswick last summer. Mostly camped in RV parks that had tenting areas, but stayed a few nights in Provincial Parks. When up on Cabot Trail stayed at a couple National Park campgrounds.

In other words I was not hiding in a forest someplace. I am not sure if there ever was a place I could have put up a hammock where I camped last summer. But tenting was pretty easy.

Some of the Provincial Parks had hike in campsites, and when such sites were available I chose those to be more isolated from the RVs. Some of them might have had trees for a hammock, but that would be unreliable at best.

Site below was at a park in Antigonish, nice park (Whidden Park) for a private park and was close to shopping being in a community. If there was a second tree in the right spot, maybe you could have hung a hammock?

There was heavy rain when I was there, some of that grass field was under water but I knew the rain was coming so I picked the highest spot in the tent area and my tent site stayed above water.

Bring bug repellent. Bugs can bite through knit bike jerseys which I learned the hard way.

If you need anything from a bike shop, I found Cyclesmith in Halifax to be quite helpful.

I am not from Canada, if you are you might want to talk to the people at MEC to see what they suggest for camping gear. The MEC people I talked to at the store in Halifax were knowledgeable. For my trip, I flew in and out of Halifax.

The campsite in photo below was a hike in site at Five Islands Provincial Park, overlooking Bay of Fundy. The really nice sites like that one get reserved in advance. I was lucky to get two nights at that site.

I never made reservations for any of the campsites I stayed at. But, my last camping night was July 8. Thus, my trip was completed before most of the campgrounds got busy. I noticed that the campsites and roads appeared to be busier after Canada Day, so if you are there during peak season, finding open campsites on weekends might be more difficult.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 05-21-20 at 11:47 AM.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: