Old 07-26-20, 10:26 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by David78
Thanks guys. I have toured before. I've also backpacked over 4000 miles. I do intend to look up route and take screen shots and keep the phone in airplane mode while riding so I'll be using the online copy only and not reliant on data. Nonetheless there still is the issue of days of riding through areas like North Dakota that will have no service whatsoever. Perhaps maps might serve me better in these areas. The issue of overheating that I'm referring to has nothing to do with overuse of phone and all to do with heat generated from the sun. Try putting your phone on a picnic table on a 90 degree sunny day where the sun is shining on it. Within 30 minutes the phone will overheat. This may be an argument for the handlebar bag instead. (Prior tours I've used maps.) And maybe you are correct that I am overestimating the necessity of needing my phone as a directional aide. Thanks.
Ive never done a trip as long as you are hoping to do, but on longer trips, Ive generally had the luxury of having access to wifi usually in the evening, whether in campgrounds or inexpensive hotels, so Ive been able to plan ahead a few days of the general route.
And then of course, being introduced to offline mapping apps like maps.me (and surely many others now) that easily allow you to check your actual location, and do offline routing also, was a big eye opener to me (thanks to those here) so its pretty easy to just check up things if yoiu arent sure.

having a spare battery pack that can easily recharge phone a few times is a simple thing to have, and then as staeph mentions, phone age and battery pack age etc will play a big part of how stuff lasts in real life. We all know older phones start to get wonky with battery life and unexpected downturns in batt life are a reality.
The nice thing is that batt packs that you charge up when you can, are very reasonably priced, and not too big , but very much open up your actual using time of any device.

given that youve done a lot of backpacking means you must have a good sense of direction and route planning and basic common sense, so there are certainly very doable options here with what you are asking, and I guess you'll see on the road just how much you actually need your phone telling you directions.
I still find it handy to have some paper maps, and or pen and paper to take basic notes, just to keep on top of things, ie its 30 miles on Rt 10 to Marysville, and then after you turn right on Rt33, its 20 miles to next turn point...
I also have a regular old fashioned bike computer, which is stillvery handy to keep track of basic distances. Nice to know when you're tired and the 30 miles to Marysville seems to take forever and you're tired and hungry--at least you can count down the miles instead of wondering and pulling out the phone or whatever allthe time--but thats me.

and yes, we've all seen how just a short time in direct sun really heats up any device, bonkers how hot they get in just a short time. And that aint good for any battery life, plain and simple.
Likes For djb: