Thread: Old Rockhoppers
View Single Post
Old 11-21-20, 08:55 AM
DesmoDog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Here's a crappy picture of my 1988 Rockhopper Comp.

I bought it new back in my bike shop days. It's had non-stock wheels since day one - as I remember it we pulled one of the stock wheels off for a warranty claim and then built up these for it instead? Deore XT hubs and Araya rims. The other non-stock parts were added a few years ago when I decided to convert it over to a street bike.

It's a little small for me, I bought it when I thought I'd be doing a lot more off road stuff and wanted a smaller frame than my then current MTB, I think that one was a Peugeot Canyon Express? Anyway... I recently spent way too much money converting a "Schwinn" Sanctuary 7 cruiser over to a Sturmey 5 speed hub, plus a few other upgrades so I don't need another bike for the paved trails around here. I also discovered there are "off road" trails around here too, but this has slicks on it now. The final straw was when I noticed how rusty the (original) shifter cables are. Can't have that, this deserves better treatment!

I'll be replacing the stem, bars, tires, and cables but other than that just cleaning and rebuilding where needed. All the parts showed up yesterday and I've got next week off work so we'll see how fast this happens!
Likes For DesmoDog: