View Single Post
Old 09-13-15, 01:46 PM
Ajh800

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp Disc '14, Spec' Crosstrail Sport Disc (customed), Ellsworth Epiphany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello,
Sirrus is now 13 months old, getting on a bit now but still puts a big smile on my face - It's had a few face lifts since collection, many seem common to other sirrus owners, but one change doesn't seem to be mentioned much - at all.

It would have been cheaper to buy just the frame - the original components still fitted are, frame, front mech, shifters, bottom bracket, headset, gear cables.

Nearly bought a 2016 Roubaix comp disc last week, but after sitting on it, it felt the same as the sirrus but the shifter/brake levers felt alien.

Had an amazing 45 mile ride this morning and 20 - 25mph + seen regularly, except a 25% gradient (in places) 800 ft climb. A drop bar Roubaix wouldn't have made much difference as I'm nearly 48 and don't intend putting excessive strain on my neck.

Recently I changed handlebars to 25.4mm and fitted shims to save buying a new stem, this enabled moving the controls towards the stem and narrowing the bars.

I also jiggled the spacers on the fork stem to lower the bars a few mm (15mm).

Recently changed the bar ends, despite the cost it's taken a while to get used to them. After 5 weeks they have grown on me and do offer some really nice riding positions, allowing extended reach - comparable to that of a Roubaix.

Last investment, some weeks ago, were XTR brakes. The stock brakes were ok but the levers rattled over the slightest bump, which was annoying. The XTRs brake better, but an expensive upgrade - worth it?? Of course.

Upgrading the wheels and tyres was great, carbon cranks, etc, etc. The biggest noticeable change has been to 25.4mm bars, narrowing them and altering the stem.

The bike was fantastic the first time ridden, 13 months later it's something else and performs way beyond expectations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_6227 (1280x718).jpg (105.4 KB, 4060 views)
IMG_6231 (1064x1280).jpg (94.5 KB, 4072 views)
bell.jpg (104.2 KB, 4068 views)

Last edited by Ajh800; 09-13-15 at 02:26 PM.
Likes For Ajh800: