View Single Post
Old 02-08-19, 02:44 PM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
Rear quick release loosens.

I have a weird problem which I have never seen before. I have titanium frame mtb. I use it mostly riding in the streets when I just want to noodle around, ride to work and such. I broke my collar bone in a road cycling accident about 8 years ago and figured it was a more forgiving way to get me riding again without worrying about my skinny road tires falling into another crack.

I have noticed that sometimes when I ride the bike hard, the rear quick release skewer has loosened. I'll go to put the bike up on the bike rack and the rear wheel will just fall off. Kind of unnerving and likely dangerous.

The cam is still locked in the closed position and I seriously doubt the skewer is stretching. My only guess is that the nut is 'walking' loose because of pedaling forces. I'm not that strong of a rider (about 175lbs. If that helps). Is it likely that this titanium frame flexes enough under pedal load to unscrew the skewer nut? The quick release skewer is a Vuelta. The frame is a Motobecane Fantom Pro, about 2010 vintage. A better quality skewer might solve the problem, but I am curious if anyone has a clue to the cause. Thanks

Joe R