Old 06-11-19, 07:50 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Wishiwasabiker
Found a Giant escape 3 with rim brakes for $250. Looking for a bike to get started with, but I was under the impression that disc brakes were the way to go. Any input?
The industry is pushing consumers to hydraulic discs, just as it always pushes consumers to the next big thing. That said, you are looking at a bike for $250. Unless you are prepared to spend, maybe $600 or $700, you have to compromise somewhere, and going with inexpensive V brakes that still work fine is a sensible compromise.

Besides, old fashioned V brakes are inexpensive, replacement pads are cheap, and they are easy to set up and work great.

IMO, you don't really need disc brakes on a hybrid or a road bike, unless you live in the mountains and/or ride a lot in the rain.

I understand that it is s concern not having the latest technology, but to a certain extent, almost every cyclist who has been riding for more than a couple of years is probably riding on yesterday's technology. My preferred bike has cantilever brakes, which are really old school. Yet somehow, I have managed to survive and keep my bike in good repair. (and I have no plans to replace it)