Old 05-17-12, 09:24 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
If you haven't done so, check out Adventure Cycling Association, which is the organization that has developed bike routes across the USA. They also run supported and partially supported tours. Their Southern Tier supported trip takes about 2 months (58 days) and costs $5,149 (might be less for members). Although that is a lot of money, they provide routes, meals, lodging, SAG support and carry your gear. You could easily spend that much money on a do-it-yourself loaded tour when you take into account equipment needs (racks, panniers, etc.), lodging (would take more time solo so you would spend more money on hotels or camp ground fees), and food (would spend more money on food carrying more weight and riding longer period).

http://www.adventurecycling.org/tours/

I am seriously considered this option if I decide to ride cross country. I could take 2 months off work because I have 6 weeks already accumulated and earn 4 weeks/year. I am reasonably convinced that the cost for the ACA supported tour wouldn't be that much more expensive that riding solo and carrying my own gear because the self-supported tour would take much longer, requiring me to take unpaid leave from my job, and I would spend more on food and lodging. In addition, you could ride the ACA with any decent road bike that fits you well because you wouldn't have to carry any gear. A person could easily spend $2,000 or more on a touring bike with racks, panniers, etc.
Good points.

I agree that you can do the trip in less time that way.

On the "You could easily spend that much money on a do-it-yourself loaded tour", I will qualify that by saying that while true, it is also possible to do it for about half that. I know that I did even when factoring in the bike and any new gear. It depends on your touring style though.

Also I will add that the two will be vastly different experiences. Having a sag vehicle changes the trip in many ways, some good and some bad (at least to me). Riding with a group similarly makes the trip different, again in a very fundamental way. Which of the two is for you only you can answer.