Old 05-17-12, 10:07 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
First let me say that I mis-typed a bit in my previous post. When I was mentioning both cost and duration I was talking about doing the Trans America.

I did the Southern Tier this winter and took 33 days to go from San Diego to Sarasota, so at that pace I probably could have gotten to St Augustine in under 40 days. I am only moderately fit and am 60 years old, so the I don't think going with the ACA necessarily saves you a lot of time. I got rooms quite frequently on that trip and still spent less than half of the sagged tour cost. I did camp for free a lot of the time though.

Originally Posted by teachme
I'm a little intimidated about the idea of riding coast to coast unsupported. How do you get over the fear of just riding a bike such a far distance?
My first tour was the Trans America and I have done a few other long tours after that, but while I always kind of have the nervous jitters leading up to a long tour, I can't say I ever was really fearful. What specifically is it that you are afraid of? Maybe if you are more specific I could set you mind at ease a bit.